The goal wasn't to try and fleece my co-workers (that's just a side benefit) but instead to show it could be done. Furthermore, all the collected funds will go to a local charity in December.
As it turns out, right before the turn of the millennium, the entire code base was open sourced. I got to finally see into the game which tormented me for so long. What I found frankly amazed me. Beautifully structured code with easy to understand names and flow. I hacked in support for credit processing as well as some audio changes and I was good to go.
HardwareSo I had my Raspberry Pi going and had a donated monitor. But this was a far cry from what I wanted to have done. I started searching Craigslist every day looking, and then I found it. It was a little abused, mangled, and left to rot in the corner. For $50 it was mine.
The image to the left shows the sad state things were in. Apparently a kid had been playing as the insides contained goldfish, crumbs and other unmentionables.
But it gets worse, the wiring was a fire hazard. Three prong outlets supplied by two prong plugs. Cords held together by good intentions and twisted wires. It all had to go. I ripped everything out that night. I was left with the bare wood.
This project was just meant to be.
And then, disaster struck. I had my buttons and everything ready to order from Spark Fun, but couldn't get my hands on a coin acceptor. I waited for weeks. Nothing. Finallyit came in. They had to replace the 2 coin with a 3 coin version. I was good to go.
Well you're right and wrong. I found something magical, the PSoC3Pim board. Taking this board and coupling it with an app note, I was able to get up and running in about 20 minutes. If that isn't magic, I don't know what is.
I've set the prices such that 10 cents is a credit, and a quarter will buy you three credits. Everything is set up for Monday, I cant wait to see it in action.